Below we have compiled a list of useful links; we are not seeking more links to add at this time. We have tried to focus on local resources and resources specific to Maine.
Local & Municipal Links
- Town of Mount Desert
- Hancock County
- State of Maine
- United States Government
- IRS - Find tax forms and instructions here
- Mount Desert Islander - Local newspaper, published weekly
For Computer Help
- Techboomers - Techboomers will teach you how to use popular and trusted websites and applications. They provide free video tutorials suited to those who may not be the most tech-savvy.
- Digital Learn - Created by the Public Library Association, Digital Learn is a tool to meet the demand for resources on digital literacy - using a computer, navigating the internet, emailing, et al. This is a collection of free, self-directed tutorials.
- Excel-Easy - Easy to follow, fully illustrated tutorials on using Excel to create and manage spreadsheets.
For Students (All Ages)
- Mount Desert Island Regional School System
- Mount Desert Elementary School
- Mount Desert Island High School
- MDIRSS K - 8 Libraries - This resource is for parents, teachers, and students of the MDI school system, K - 8. It gathers the resources our schools have to offer in one site. Students can search library catalogs, access databases and ebooks, and more
- Sparknotes - Study guides for literature, poetry, and other subjects
- TED Talks - TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas through short talks on many different subjects.
- See also, TED Ed - TED Ed are TED Talks selected for classroom use; many are animated.
- Citation Tools
- Citation Machine - Select style and type of source; Citation machine will format citations for your paper. This site also provides guides to different citation styles, formatting, avoiding plagiarism, etc.
- Easy Bib
- Purdue University's OWL (Online Writing Lab)
- Continuing Education
- Acadia Senior College
- MDI Adult Education
- These sites offer free educational content in a variety of disciplines, most are designed for adults
- Khan Academy
- Future Learn
- Learn Computer Coding
Call 911 if you believe you are experiencing a medical emergency or if anyone is in immediate danger.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness, Maine
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources, and best practices for professionals.
- Next Step Domestic Violence Project - Next Step serves Washington and Hancock counties in Maine, assisting those experiencing intimate partner abuse, stalking, and dating violence.
- See also, Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence
- Northern New England Poison Control Center - NNEPCC is your source for fast information and expert advice; whether you've taken too much medecine, spilled a chemical on your skin, or just have a question, we are here for you.
- Addiction & Recovery Resources
- Acadia Family Center
- Drug Rehab Services in Maine - This is a searchable database of resources in Maine
- For Survivors of Sexual Assault
- AMHC Sexual Assault Services
- Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network - RAINN is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE) in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country
For Adults with Disabilities and Seniors
- Island Connections - Transportation services for seniors and people with disabilities
- Downeast Horizons
- Maine Assisted Living & Home Care: Costs and Financial Assistance
- Applying for Unemployment
- Got Resume Builder - Got Resume Builder helps you build and format a resume (must create a free account to use)
- MDI Community Campfire Coalition Fuel Assistance
- Assistance Directories
- 2-1-1 Maine - 211 Maine connects you with more than 5,800 health and human service resources.
- Downeast Community Partners
- Food Assistance
- Bar Harbor Food Pantry - The Bar Harbor Food Pantry is open to all of Hancock County’s year-round residents.
- West Side Food Pantry - The West Side Food Pantry address food insecurity among the residents of the west side of Mount Desert Island.
- Share the Harvest - This program distributes farmstand vouchers, subsidized farm shares, and Harvest Deliveries to community members in need.
- Open Table MDI
- Housing Assistance
- MDI & Ellsworth Housing Authority - The Ellsworth and MDI Housing Authorities provide housing assistance and related services to individuals and families who face income or other life challenges.
- Island Housing Trust - IHT creates affordable housing opportunities for applicants who meet eligibility criteria.
- Library of Congress - The Library of Congress has digitized many of their collections; these collections are available through their website.
- Goodreads - Goodreads has book reviews, lists and reading suggestions. Users can make their own lists, keep track of books they've read and share reviews.
- Project Gutenberg - Project Gutenberg is a volunteer effort to digitize and archive works from the public domain.
- Rotten Tomatoes - Rotten Tomatoes and Tomato-meter score are trusted barometers of quality entertainment. Find both critic and home audience reviews of television and movies.
- Common Sense Media - Detailed ratings of movies, tv shows, books and more to help parents make informed decisions about whether content is appropriate for their families.